Thursday, April 17, 2014

I was not their real daughter!

I was not their real daughter!
NATIONAL JOURNAL OF HOMOEOPATHY 1999 Mar / Apr VOL VIII NO 2.
Dr K N Kasad
'Magh-sulph / Thuja History of Previous Illness: (See Chart)
Patient as a Person:
Thin 3 64 kg, Ht 5' 10"
Cravings: sour but agg = bile. Likes dal, sweet, potatoes and spicy but aggr; = acidity, indigestion, diarrhoea; pulses and oily things aggr; very hot weather aggr =lethargic, miserable and irritable; sun aggr = headache. Draft and fan aggr = headache and noseblock¸ AC. Very hot bath all he year, cannot tolerate cold weather-fingers bend, cannot write. Dry Pune weather suits well. Sensitive to cold = nose and limbs cold.
C4H.
Recurrent tendency to catch colds-larynx SLEEP normal except with pains. Must sleep for long as short sleep & loss of sleep aggr acidity, becomes irritable, tired and sea-sick.
Interview II (21-2-95)
The real life situation emerged in the second interview. Though she said that she was very attached to her patients, it transpired that they ill-treated her. Father was hot- tempered, sarcastic and used to beat her till the age of 13-14 and used to tell her "you are not my daughter." The mother was conventional, religious and dictatorial. She wanted her way only and did not allow the patient to go out with others. Very possessive. The patient was scared of her mother even now; her mother harboured resentment, inward agitation and a feeling that there was no one to look after her especially in the last two years as she was sick. Her mother would bang patient's head on the wall even till her marriage. The patient said " my marriage was an arranged one; our ideas matched and we had very happy relations; sex no problem. Husband is also a good friend. As I spent more time with him my mother feared "my daughter is not with me"; she behaved badly with me. During the wedding she kept aloof; on the wedding day she refused my embrace. I felt bitter, bad, hurt and frustrated. She made up after sometime." " Parental disharmony and quarrels were constant to which I was a witness. I was a buffer between my husband and parents. My mother is scared of my father but still she fires me and beats me." As her grandmother was harsh and used to beat her mother, the latter had an unhappy childhood; also she lost her mother due to paralysis at the age of 12. Her mother was afraid of her husband and took it out on the patient. She said " father does not express love while my mother wants love, appreciation and has not received it and hence is frustrated. I am averse to fights and when parents quarrel, I am upset & depressed. Brooding, feel low; have palpitations gnawing, heavy feeling in the heart, unhappy and bogged down." The patient was, therefore, angry and bitter but suppressed her emotions and felt frustrated. She also had fear of ghosts. Fearful and anxious since childhood-scared of violent movies, blood, anybody being beaten and an apprehension that something will happen to her parents when they go out or that they will die or worries when her husband comes home late. Often depressed, she suffered from anticipatory anxiety-eg before an event, such as giving exams, reading a paper at the conference and catching a train etc. Very Tearful. Feels better when alone.
After this interview was over, while I left her house, she said in a whisper " Doctor, they are not my true parents. They adopted me right from birth through the obstetrician, who was treating my adopted mother for her 7 abortions. This was disclosed by mother just before my marriage, first to my husband and later to me. This news rattled both of us but we accepted the situation and the marriage went through without any mishap." She became aware that her real parents were still alive somewhere in the city and when asked whether she would like to make inquiries and contact them, she categorically declined lest it produce an intense trauma, which she feared she would not be able to handle. Her husband and his parents accepted the situation and held the same opinion. I could not interview her husband as he was on voyage.
Drug released on 26-2-95.
Third Interview 0n 3-3-95
Pt better 50%-lt neck, nape, sternomastoid, shoulders, legs- cramps, knotted muscles and bodyaches. Muscle fatigue less. Mother is RUDE to me, as I lie down the whole day, because of the pains. This HURTS me. I want to join my husband in the Merchant Navy; so saying she broke into tears. I have never had a heart to heart talk with them at all. I am rebuked, and so I cannot stay with them. I feel guilty, therefore, I stay with them. My husband agrees with this. I have no rest here. He too feels guilty. Mother tells me that I am rude.
Now The Work-Up:
Case Analysis:

This case was referred to me after the patient had undergone treatment under several experts of different systems of treatment, but defied solution and resolution. It exhibited several mental and psychological aspects running parallel to and in temporal correlation with the number of diseases suffered by the patient since age 4, abetted by the various environmental stressors - physical, emotional, chemical and biological- in an uncongenial and unfavourable psycho-cultural milieu in the family. This case is the perfect demonstration of how the environment shapes the disposition, and when adverse, culminates in psychosomatic disease, in this case- crippling Rheumatism.
Thus the main sphere of affection was the fibro-musculo-skeletal system, especially of the shoulder girdle, more left and going to right; sudden and rapid onset with intense pains, spasms, cramps, stiffness and knotted feeling as if the body was put through a wringer, with attendant muscle fatigue, restlessness and low grade fever. The clinical, bio-chemical and immunological parameters (lymphocytosis, monocytosis, decreased T-cells and increased IgG level) suggested R E S involvement- an autoimmune process in the case. SLE and RA were ruled out in the absence of articular involvement and normal ESR and negative RA Test, ANA reaction, LE cells.
Probable Diagnosis: Polymyalgia or Polymyopathy.
The slow evolution, from 24-11-93 till the date of consultation on 18-2-95 and functional muscular derangement, with no structural damage, aggr from hot, humid weather and amel in dry weather suggested SYCOSIS as the dominant miasm, with the characteristic cramps, spasms and torticollis. The migraine and tendency to colds with hoarseness are tubercular.

No comments:

Post a Comment